Saturday, September 20, 2008

Delight in Differences

Too often I surround myself with people who are similar to me in thought and action and too often assume people think and see just as I do. Yet we are so different and that makes life wonderful. We have so much we can learn from each other. In every interaction, in every conversation, we have an opportunity to delight in our differences and learn from each other.

Not too long ago I went out with a friend who, though he didn’t realize it, taught me so much. Through our simple conversation he changed me. It opened my eyes to a new way of thinking, caused introspection, and personal evaluation and change, and helped me through a personal turning point that soon followed.

We all have so much we can share and learn from each other. Daily and simple interactions can yield so many lessons. I have been touched in countless ways by so many people. I wish I could let each one know how they have affected me but it would be impossible to even begin. I wish I were better about expressing gratitude in the moment and help others understand what they have done for me, but too often the moment passes on, unacknowledged. Other times, a simple "Thank you" is all I can muster, though my heart leaps with appreciation that I wish could be sensed in its full sincerity. So, thank you to each of you that has in some way touched my life, and taught me, without you even realizing.

I recently listened to a podcast entitled “Our Vulnerability is our Strength” in which a young adult learned a great lesson through his work. He had been lost and had chosen not to follow the traditional path of college and career. He found himself caring for two physically handicapped men. It was a tiring job that involved long hours and tedious work but he loved it because of what it taught him. It showed him the lesson that we need to rely on each other. Too often we define success as becoming solely independent and capable of handling all things on our own. That is a fallacy. We grow and become better and more “successful” through relying on one another. Just as these men had to turn to him to function each day, so should we reach toward each other to build and strengthen ourselves. We must become interdependent. We must learn from each other and also teach each other. You can read his essay at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91244099

No comments: