Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The quite force of progress.


This morning I joined millions of others around the world in welcoming in a new president. Although I am not an Obama supporter, I recognized the historic nature of this event and considered myself blessed to be a witness. I am currently reading The Secret Life of Bees which touches on a time in our past where segregation was an encumbrance to our nation. Add to it all the timeliness of Martin Luther King Day and one can’t help but ponder the magnitude of the event. I guess I always assumed I would be alive to see the first African-American President of the United States but it was not something I thought about often. It struck me when Obama mentioned that 60years ago his father would not have been able to enter some restaurants. I had forgotten how recent that time was. As President Obama stated, “This day we mark who we are and how far we’ve come.”
Other gems from the speech:
“We are keepers of this legacy.”
(We are recipients of a legacy established by years of fighting, toil, hurt and perseverance on all sides that have brought us to a place where our nation for the most part is strong and welcoming and a place where dreams are made. We are keepers of personal legacies as well, building on a familial past and entrusted with the duty to leave a legacy of good for the future.)

“Our patchwork heritage is our strength.”

“When we were tested we refused to let this journey end.”
(That has daily life implications and is a reminder to me to be strong, in all things.)

I appreciated President Bush and know that he did the best he could. He is a man of conviction with a good, honest heart. I was grateful for the opportunity I had on November 4th to exercise my right as a citizen and cast my ballot for that which I believed to be the best. Millions of others had that same magnificant right and now we will live with our choice and face the consequences, good or bad. I hope that the result will lean on the side of good and exceed my expectations. I am anxious to see what lies ahead for us all.

No comments: