Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Accidently Drugged...

So, funny story...
Sunday night I went to a potluck with some friends for local singles from my church. I had had a really long weekend and had thus acquired a pretty bad headache. I rarely take medication but I wanted to feel up for socializing. So, I reached into my cupboard and took the last of the pills from the Tylenol Extra Strength bottle. I didn't really pay attention to the fact the pill was not very Tylenol- esk.

Thankfully my friend decided last minute he didn't want anymore sunburn from my convertible so he wanted to drive. About halfway there, I started to notice that I was seeing double. I couldn't really see straight at all but my mind was all fuzzy so I didn't fully realize that anything was happening at all. My muscles were super heavy and I just couldn't focus on anything.

When we got to the party, I couldn't walk straight so I made my friends carry my food. I had to immediately sit down and felt like I was swimming. It was not cool. Some guy came over and talked to me for about a half hour and to be honest I don't remember much of what he said. I was fine to stare and look like I was listening but anytime I tried to move it took so much effort and I was slurring my speech. Good thing he did most of the talking. It was a pretty interesting night. I'm sure I was entertaining for some. It took me a while but I finally was able to clear my head enough to try to figure out what happened. In the end, I've concluded that I accidentally took an Ambien, the very pill that I usually cut in half to do that trick of knocking me out. I haven't had to take any meds for a while so I didn't even notice when I swallowed it down. Oops!!

To make it worse, this is the third time in a year I have been drugged like that on sleeping meds- once before on my way home from Israel I took one to help me sleep on the flight. It worked for an hour then I was awake but still heavily medicated. The other time I was sleepless on a cruise so I took two Benedryl to help me take a nap. Stupid, I know. Dinner that evening was difficult as felt so out of control and like I was swimming. Try walking down a rocking ship's hallway while drugged. Not so easy.

Lesson learned...hide the meds from Katie!!

No comments: